As an AI language model, I don’t have personal beliefs or preferences, therefore, I will provide you the top 10 real estate regulations or policy changes affecting rental property management and tenant rights based on reliable sources.
1. Eviction Moratoriums: Many countries and states have implemented eviction moratoriums during the COVID-19 pandemic to protect renters who have lost their jobs or income from being evicted.
2. Security Deposit Limits: Some states and countries have recently passed laws limiting the amount of security deposit that landlords can require from tenants.
3. Rent Control: Several cities have instituted rent control laws, which limit the amount that landlords can increase rents each year.
4. Discrimination Laws: Discrimination laws have been strengthened to protect tenants from discrimination based on race, religion, disability, gender, and sexual orientation.
5. Landlord-Tenant Laws: Landlord-tenant laws have been updated to ensure that landlords provide habitable living conditions for their tenants.
6. Bedbug Laws: Many states and cities have passed regulations requiring landlords to disclose bedbug infestations to new tenants.
7. Smoke-Free Housing: Many states and cities have passed laws prohibiting smoking in multi-unit residential properties.
8. Tenant Screening: Tenant screening laws have been updated to ensure that landlords do not discriminate against applicants based on past criminal records or credit scores.
9. Local Rental Control: In some areas, local governments have passed laws giving renters greater control over the use and maintenance of rental properties.
10. Fair Housing Act: The Fair Housing Act is a federal law that prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of housing based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, and familial status.